~ ABOUT US ~
The church was organized on Sunday, November 13th, 1860 by 18 pioneer Christians who formed the new congregation. They met for awhile in a small frame schoolhouse until Mr. Thomas Common donated land for the church sanctuary in January, 1861.
A new brick sanctuary was built in 1930 during the Great Depression. This building is now converted to a chapel, library, office, and classrooms. The adjacent center section was built in 1956 with offices and classrooms.
The present sanctuary, with 500 seats, was dedicated in 1967. It has 17 memorial stained glass windows depicting the life of Christ. The church grounds are designated as a Michigan Historical Site.
The Memorial Garden was constructed entirely by the members of the congregation and dedicated in the spring of 2005 to be a dignified resting place for the remains of loved ones and congregation members. The Memorial Garden is a place of remembrance and tranquility.
Ashes are not scattered but are inhumed in a designated area adjacent to a lovely garden plot, which is surrounded by nature's beauty. A lovely memorial plaque contains plates bearing the names of those inhumed there or whom family members may simply wish to memorialize.
The fees for inhumation and/or installation of a memorial name plate are set to cover direct costs, as well as to assist in the garden's upkeep. Please contact the church office for specific information on how to purchase an inhumation plot or memorial name plate.